February 6, 2011 § 3 Comments
Ultimate Cocoa Brownies
From The Essential Baker
2 sticks of butter
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon water
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts- chopped
Preheat oven to 325
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat
Sift together the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add the salt and toss to mix.
Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and stir to mix well
And the melted butter and stir until very well combined
In a small bowl, stir together the espresso powder and water until the mixture is thoroughly blended and forms a thick paste
Using a fork lightly beat the eggs together in a small bowl and the vanilla and espresso paste and whisk together well. Add this mixture to the butter mixture and stir together until shiny and well blended
Spread the batter into a lined baking pan
Bake for 27 minutes
I bought cinnamon chips at wegmans yesterday to try them out and let me tell you I thought they were disgusting. I even tried the recipe on the back and it did not work at all. Ick I don’t suggest trying them. They don’t even have cinnamon in the ingredients!
So this is entirely random but do any of you have 2 blogs? I love baking but I can only do it on weekend while I live a very healthy life style every day and I could blog about that every day. I know I would enjoy that all. So what do you think, would having 2 blog be too hard to manage?
January 28, 2011 § 7 Comments
Bon Appétit Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 4 hour 50 minutes (includes cooling time)
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, chilled
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot). Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 brownies. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
I failed my driving test. PLUS I have 3 days in school suspension for huge mix up at school. I have never been in trouble and these few days have been the worst.